Thursday, May 29, 2014

Review: The Marquess Who Loved Me (Muses of Mayfair #3) by Sara Ramsey


SUMMARY
A not-so-merry widow…

The widowed Marchioness of Folkestone is notorious for her parties, her art collection, and her utter disregard for the rules. But Ellie Claiborne knows her destruction is near. The new marquess is her first lover – the man whose sculpted body and sardonic grin haunt her every time she picks up her paintbrush. If he ever returns to claim his inheritance, her heart won’t survive seeing him again.

A man determined to destroy her...

Nicholas Claiborne hasn’t stepped foot in England since watching Ellie marry his cousin. He has no use for the gorgeous, heartless girl who betrayed him, or the title she abandoned him for. But when his business in India turns deadly, Nick must return to London to uncover a murderer – and take revenge on the woman he couldn’t force himself to forget.

A love they can’t escape…

Nick hates Ellie’s transformation from sweet debutante to jaded seductress. Ellie despises him for leaving her behind. Still, the sparks between them reignite the passion that should have been their destiny. As their demands of each other turn darker and a potential killer closes in, they must decide whether to guard the fragile remnants of their hearts — or find a way to fall in love all over again.



RATING

 

REVIEW
There's one thing that I wanted to address before I really got into my review. I always peruse reviews after I write my own. I would hate for what someone else thinks to taint my opinion and thoughts of a fresh read. For some reason, I started reading the reviews before I even flipped a page of this one. There was one reviewer that took me back a bit. They stated that there was a rape scene in this novel. I almost put the book in the Did Not Finish pile right then. Reading about rape just doesn't interest me and I don't think that I would ever read a novel where rape was involved. Kind of a weird thing considering that I can read about grisly murders, but I have my reading limits. Anyhow ... I decided to give the novel a shot anyhow. Dude, there was no rape scene. There wasn't a scene that even REMOTELY resembled rape. This just really chaps my ass. There are a lot of readers out there who don't want to read about rape in a romance novel ... they just want a fun, romantic read and this horrible claim could make someone shy away from this novel. I just think it's crappy of a reviewer to do ... give your opinion but don't make false claims about a novel. 

Okay, I'll jump off of my soap box now. You know, this was an interesting novel. My first reaction to the main character, Ellie, was not good. I didn't like her. I just wanted her to fall at Nicholas' feet and for them to fall in love again. Yeah, I know that that doesn't actually happen in romance novels ... what would be the point of reading it if it were that easy. After a while, I really started to like Ellie though. Both of these characters and the main characters were very well written. I wish that there had been more scenes with Nicholas' brother ... I really liked how he was developing. Maybe he will be the focus in the next novel. 

And that's really all I had to talk about with this one. Nothing really negative stood out to me and I ended up liking it. It wasn't the best historical novel out there but it wasn't the worst and I would probably pick it up again and read another one from this author. 



Find The Marquess Who Loved Me here

No comments:

Post a Comment