Sunday, July 6, 2014

Review: Wide Awake (Wide Awake #1) by Shelly Crane


A girl.
A coma.
A life she can't remember.

When Emma Walker wakes up in the hospital with no knowledge of how she got there, she learns that she's been in a coma for six months. Strangers show up and claim to be her parents, but she can't remember them. She can't remember anyone. Not her friends, not even her boyfriend. Even though she can't remember, everyone wants her to just pick up where she left off, but what she learns about the 'old her' makes her start to wish she'd never woken up. Her boyfriend breaks up with the new girl he's dating to be with her, her parents want her to start planning for college, her friends want their leader back, and her physical therapist with the hazel eyes keeps his distance to save his position at the hospital.

Will she ever feel like she recognizes the girl in the mirror?



 



First of all, whoever designed this cover was a genius. I adore this cover. I wish all covers were this awesome. I can't really put a finger on what it is that just makes this cover amazing but it is. 

Okay ... let's see ... oh. The chapter titles. I won't lie. I HATED the chapter titles. So terrible. I was ready to chunk the book and just call it a day. In my mind, titled chapters (especially ones in such a weird format) are for children's books. But. And you'll hardly ever hear me say this, I was wrong. And I'm glad that I was wrong. Are the chapter titles weird? Hell yes. Do they make sense once you get into the book? Hell yes. I can't think of another way to title these chapters, actually. The author knows what she's doing. So I apologize to Ms. Shelly Crane for prejudging. Well, it wasn't prejudging since I was already reading the book but you get what I'm saying. I was wrong. Just this once.

All in all ... AH-MAZING book. Loved it. Adored it. There were a few spots that were a bit slow but that was it, the writing is stellar, the plot and how it played out was amazing and I loved the characters! I really liked the heroine of the novel. The way that she came across is exactly how I think that I would act in this situation. Can you imagine waking up and not knowing who anyone was? You don't know any of your family or friends or most importantly, yourself. And what if all of these people surrounding you kept telling you that you weren't ... YOU. Just mind-boggling. I can only hope that this never happens to me or anyone I love because I don't know if I would be as strong as I hope I would be. 

I'm really excited about this author. I've never read anything by her and the moving way with which she wrote this novel is pretty cool. I'll definitely pick up the next in this series and I've been looking into some of her other works. Looks like I may have found another favorite author! 






No comments:

Post a Comment