Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Review: At Any Price (Gaming the System #1) by Brenna Aubrey


Achievement Unlocked: Geek Virgin

When Mia Strong, proud geek-girl and popular gaming blogger, auctions off her virginity online, she knows she'll make waves. But what she will not be making is a love connection. Her rules are set in stone: One night. No further contact.

It's a desperate step, but it's the only way she can go to medical school and pay her mother's mounting hospital bills.

Difficulty Level: Millionaire CEO

Adam Drake, the enigmatic auction winner, is a software prodigy who made his first million at seventeen. Now, in his mid-twenties, he's sexy, driven and--as CEO of his own gaming company--he's used to making the rules. Before Mia knows what's happening, he's found the loophole in the rules of her auction. Every stipulation she's made to protect her heart gets tossed by the wayside.

She can't tell if he's playing her...or if he's playing for keeps.







Mia believes that being a virgin is simply an inconvenience. She doesn't agree with the connotation of being a virgin and she will be more than happy when that part of "growing up" is done and she can focus on more important things in her life. So she decides to auction her virginity off to the highest bidder. Her bestie helps with drawing up a contract that includes several stipulations, the very most important being this is a one night situation ... nothing permanent will come from it and she will not have contact with the highest bidder after the act is over. Little does Mia know that this one little auction could change everything that she thought she knew and everything she thought she was. 

The idea behind this book was quite intriguing ... auctioning off your virginity? Pretty interesting. You know, this is the first book I've read by Brenna Aubrey and it most definitely will not be the last. I really enjoyed just about everything about this book except one thing, but I'll go over all of that later. 

The characters were some of my favorites that I've read this year. I felt an instant connection with Mia and her best friend Heath. I could understand where she was coming from due to her background and I found myself being super empathetic to her situation. Actually, I think that I enjoyed Heath's character about as much as I enjoyed Mia's. I'm really hoping that there is maybe more about Heath in the following novels ... it would be disappointing if there weren't because I would love to read more about this interesting fellow. Now on to the hero of the story ... Adam Drake. Dear, sweet, Adam Drake. Without giving away any spoilers ... the first scene with him in it is PERFECT. I just died and I knew that he's one of my favorite leading males of all bookish times. I just really liked everything about him and I hate to say anything more because you just need to experience this interesting man for yourself but I'll just say this ... you won't be disappointed and you better have room on your book boyfriend list for this dude because he will most definitely be on it. 

The storyline was fast paced (thank you, very much!) and it kept my attention quite well. Actually, I just chewed this book up like some ADHD riddled weed-eater. I was completely useless at home ... dishes didn't get done, laundry was piled up ... I was a total waste of space for about a day. But it was completely worth it!! I'll read this one again and probably soon.

OMG!! I totally forgot to talk about the one thing that I didn't like!! It's that this book isn't over ... there is more to the story and it's in the next book! Ugh. So incredibly frustrating!! There being a second book isn't really a bad thing ... it's just plain mean to break up a story (hint, hint all you authors out there!).



Available Now

No comments:

Post a Comment