Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Marbury Lens (The Marbury Lens #1)

Title: The Marbury Lens (The Marbury Lens #1)
Author: Andrew Smith
Date Published: November 2010
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 358

★✰✰✰✰

Sixteen-year-old Jack gets drunk and is in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is kidnapped. He escapes, narrowly. The only person he tells is his best friend, Conner. When they arrive in London as planned for summer break, a stranger hands Jack a pair of glasses. Through the lenses, he sees another world called Marbury.

There is war in Marbury. It is a desolate and murderous place where Jack is responsible for the survival of two younger boys. Conner is there, too. But he’s trying to kill them.

Meanwhile, Jack is falling in love with an English girl, and afraid he’s losing his mind.

Conner tells Jack it’s going to be okay.

But it’s not.
  




Little Miss Bookmark did not like this book. Little Miss Bookmark thought this book was weird. Little Miss Bookmark had high hopes that this book would be good but Little Miss Bookmark thought that it fell short. REALLY SHORT. (If I could quadruple underline REALLY SHORT, I totally would ... just thought you should know that ... )

Annoying when people talk in 3rd person, right?!? THIS BOOK WAS FULL OF THAT!!!!

First of all, I HATE having to say that a book is bad. I can only imagine how much work goes into writing a book and to bash what someone has slaved over makes me feel horrible. But. Oh. My. Goodness. This book was almost like a train wreck - I didn't want to look, but I just had to. I had to finish this book even though everything inside me kept saying, "STAY AWAY!!".

It was just weird. I had a hard time looking past the main character talking in third person and the story line was ... weird ... just weird. Jack gets kidnapped and then all the sudden, "his brain is messed up". Uh ... okay (???). Then Jack went to England and he met a guy (I still don't know if he existed or was just in Jack's head) that gave Jack some glasses so that he could see another world through them. Literally. An alternate universe. The premise of the book was awesome - it had a great chance to be one of the most amazing books. But it was just too confusing, I had no idea who it was that was talking sometimes because Jack kept talking in 3rd person!

And new paragraphs were started.

For no reason.

In the middle of the action.

With only one sentence each. WHO DOES THAT?!?

Anyway, in case I didn't make it clear ... I was disappointed. I had really looked forward to reading this. It's just unfortunate. Little Miss Bookmark wishes she could get the hours back that she lost 

reading

this

book.

No comments:

Post a Comment