Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Review: This is Falling by Ginger Scott


First, I had to remember how to breathe. Then, I had to learn how to survive. Two years, three months and sixteen days had passed since I was the Rowe Stanton from before, since tragedy stole my youth and my heart went along with it.

When I left for college, I put a thousand miles between my future and my past. I’d made a choice—I was going to cross back to the other side, to live with the living. I just didn’t know how.

And then I met Nate Preeter.

An All-American baseball player, Nate wasn’t supposed to notice a ghost-of-a-girl like me. But he did. He shouldn’t want to know my name. But he did. And when he learned my secret and saw the scars it left behind, he was supposed to run. But he didn’t.

My heart was dead, and I was never supposed to belong to anyone. But Nate Preeter had me feeling, and he made me want to be his. He showed me everything I was missing.

And then he showed me how to fall.






This is one of the many New Adult novels that I've grown to love over the past few months and it's one of my favorites, for sure. I thought that after a while, they would all start kind of bleeding into the last one but that hasn't happened yet. 

Now, Ginger Scott writes an amazingly flawed character. Rowe (the main character) is unbelievably messed up. She has a long list of things she's not proud of, issues from the past and hang-ups about herself. It was really a fascinating journey that the author took us on. She made it seem like there was really no way out for Rowe and then we were able to walk beside her as she tried to traverse basically a brand new life. A new chapter, a new beginning. Being that Rowe is so terribly screwed up, I still loved her. I thought that she was a great female lead and I can't imagine this book being written any other way. 

I really enjoyed the alternating POV with Rowe and Nate, sometimes that can really suck the life out of a plot but it worked wonderfully with what was going on. And I think that is mostly due to the dynamic between Nate and Rowe. The chemistry is adorable and you can't help but laugh and cry along with the characters. 

I think that I read somewhere that this is going to be the beginning of a series and I really hope that is actually true because Ginger Scott really set herself up to have an amazing next book if it is about Nate's brother ... hint, hint. 





No comments:

Post a Comment