Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Review: The Death Cure (The Maze Runner #3) by James Dashner


It’s the end of the line.
 
WICKED has taken everything from Thomas: his life, his memories, and now his only friends—the Gladers. But it’s finally over. The trials are complete, after one final test.
 
Will anyone survive?

What WICKED doesn’t know is that Thomas remembers far more than they think. And it’s enough to prove that he can’t believe a word of what they say.

The truth will be terrifying.

Thomas beat the Maze. He survived the Scorch. He’ll risk anything to save his friends. But the truth might be what ends it all.

The time for lies is over.



 


Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. This is what I get for being so excited about reading a book. I guess I had put this whole series up on a pedestal. The first book was pretty good as was the subsequent one and then I get to this one and it was just ... meh. It fizzled for me. I'm not totally for sure what I expected but for some reason, it wasn't how it went. 

No, that's not the truth. I know what I expected. I expected The Death Cure to really just knock my socks off. I know that the first novel in the series got off to a slow start but I had hoped for more with this one. It's the ending. It should be amazing, right? Instead, you know what it reminded me of? A couple of things. First ... it reminded me of Thanksgiving dinner. I know that sounds weird, but just stay with me for a second. When you're cooking that big gluttonous meal, you spend hours. HOURS. Long hours preparing and long hours actually over the stove. Then it's ready. And then your kids Cookie Monster that shit and it's gone in 5 minutes. All that work for 5 minutes of eating. That's kind of what it was like!! Oh, and it also reminded me of the 4th of July but I won't get into my fireworks analogy. (You're welcome). But that's what this book was like. I plowed through the first two novels with the hope (and understanding because the author insinuated this would be an epic ending) that this series would end spectacularly. It wasn't, it was just okay. 

The characters were great, as they had been in previous novels but it felt almost disjointed for me. I didn't feel the same passion from the characters as I had in the past and that was a little sad because I thought that was a strong suit of this author. It was exciting in places and everything but ... just not enough, I guess. I found myself skipping paragraphs and pages because it was just ... boring a lot of the time. The action sequences were good but not good enough to make me forget about the boring parts. I wanted this awesome finish and instead of sliding into a warm bath with the satisfaction of a trilogy well completed, someone threw ice water in my face, called me a sissy and then punched me in the boob. 

In case you haven't picked this up ... it just wasn't my favorite ending. The series as a whole averaged out to ... average. It was nothing earth-shattering. Nothing that I'm dying to read again start to finish right this very moment. I might someday but not until I get over being angry at the injustice of such an ending to a series. 










No comments:

Post a Comment