Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Review: The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “Duffy,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.



 



Bianca Piper is The DUFF. But she doesn't know this until Wesley (so eloquently) let her in on that little tidbit of information. Bianca loathes Wesley. She hates him with the fiery passion of a million suns because of who he is ... the player. Then it happens. She kisses him. She still hates him but she doesn't mind using him as a little diversion from her screwed-up life. And what a diversion he is!

Unfortunately, I didn't hear about this book until I saw the preview for the movie. To be honest, I thought that the title and whole premise was mean as hell. Do kids really use this term?!? It wouldn't surprise me but I would hate to be The DUFF. That being said ... the summary intrigued me. And at that point, I was hooked and I had to read it. Man ... am I glad that I did. Well, my sleep patterns aren't glad because I read this book in one sitting. Well ... laying. I went to bed thinking that I would just get started on it and the next thing I knew, it was in the middle of the night and I was reading the last sentence. I was just so completely immersed that I didn't realize I had been reading for so long!

I don't really have any specifics to give you on this one ... I just liked everything. I liked how the story was set up and executed, I liked the characters and how they were so very thought out and seemed like some kids I used to know, I liked the flow of the story and how it never really slowed down or got boring and most of all, I just liked the story as a whole. Everything about it was just great and I actually want to read it again immediately. 

Yes, this is a YA book. Yes, it is made for teenagers. But I can see how it could strike at the heart of most people. Most everyone has had family issues, big or small, at some point and we all know how finding some sort of distraction can become addictive just so that we can get away. I don't think that this book is just for YA readers, I think that most everyone can come away with something from these pages, even if it's just a laugh at Bianca's sassy attitude (which I couldn't get enough of). 

All in all, great book. I'm excited to read some more stuff by Kody Keplinger. If it is anything like this one, I know that I'm a fan for life. 



Available NOW!


No comments:

Post a Comment