Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Review: One Tiny Lie (Ten Tiny Breaths, #2)

Summary
Livie has always been the stable one of the two Cleary sisters, handling her parents' tragic death and Kacey's self-destructive phase with strength and maturity. But underneath that exterior is a little girl hanging onto the last words her father ever spoke to her. “Make me proud,” he had said. She promised she would...and she’s done her best over the past seven years with every choice, with every word, with every action.

Livie walks into Princeton with a solid plan, and she’s dead set on delivering on it: Rock her classes, set herself up for medical school, and meet a good, respectable guy that she’s going to someday marry. What isn’t part of her plan are Jell-O shots, a lovable, party animal roommate she can’t say ‘no’ to, and Ashton, the gorgeous captain of the men’s rowing team. Definitely him. He’s an arrogant ass who makes Livie’s usually non-existent temper flare and everything she doesn’t want in a guy. Worse, he’s best friends and roommates with Connor, who happens to fits Livie’s criteria perfectly. So why does she keep thinking about Ashton?

As Livie finds herself facing mediocre grades, career aspirations she no longer thinks she can handle, and feelings for Ashton that she shouldn’t have, she’s forced to let go of her last promise to her father and, with it, the only identity that she knows.




Rating & Review
I really don't give five stars out willy nilly but it seems like almost every book I read lately has been a five star book!! I'm getting very lucky with the books I've been choosing recently, I guess. There are just so many great authors out there these days and this one is one of my new favorites!! 

Okay ... this is the second book I've read by Tucker and I'm officially a gigantic fan. I can't count on one hand how many series I've read where I actually like the second book as much as the first. Usually, the second one is a bit lackluster for me and then it will pick back up with the next one but not this time. I loved this book as much, if not more than I liked Ten Tiny Breaths!! Such a good series. While this book doesn't actually pick up right where the other one left off ... there is some time in between but it picks up where the other one left off ... does that make sense?!? It's like when life gets busy and you lose touch with a really close friend, then you talk to them for the first time in forever and you pick back up right where you left off. It was like that! That's perfect ... it's like getting reacquainted with a best friend.

When I learned that this book would be about Livie, I knew that it would be amazing. In the first book when you first meet her, she's this shy little thing that is really passionate about her sister and you can tell that under all of that careful caution and quiet strength is this sassy young woman. Let me tell you, she has to be one of my favorite characters ever. I really found her endearing. It was tough (and amazing) watching her grow up in this book. My mom instincts flared up and I just wanted to shelter her during some parts. 

Ashton. I could wax poetic about that guy ... I really liked him. A lot. Alotalot. He was such a little shit to Livie and I loved every moment of it. I was cheering for him from the beginning and I really wish that I could elaborate on that but it's something that you need to experience for yourself when you read this because you NEED TO READ THIS!! 

Let's see ... there was also a bit of the Doc ... and I found myself really liking him too this time around. Not that I didn't like him in the last book, I did but this time ... I found him to be more personable and I REALLY hope that he is in all of the rest of the novels. I would be really upset if he isn't. 

That's really about it. There weren't any big issues with the story line, it just scoots along like the first book and it keeps you completely engaged from the very beginning. Sometimes I find myself skimming over boring parts in a book ... long descriptions or just boring dialogue ... but that didn't happen with this one. I wish that I had saved it to read when I'm at the beach next week because it's a perfect poolside read. Well, it is if you don't mind busting out with a few chuckles and having everyone look at you like you're a weirdo. Or getting teary ... yeah ... that happened again with this one. So. Good. I'm sad it's over.



No comments:

Post a Comment