Thursday, April 10, 2014

Review: Deadly Curiosities (Deadly Curiosities #1) by Gail Z. Martin


 Summary
Cassidy Kincaide owns Trifles & Folly, an antique/curio store and high-end pawn shop in Charleston, South Carolina that is more than what it seems. Dangerous magical and supernatural items sometimes find their way into mortal hands or onto the market, and Cassidy is part of a shadowy Alliance of mortals and mages whose job it is to take those deadly curiosities out of circulation.

Welcome to Trifles & Folly, an antique and curio shop with a dark secret. Proprietor Cassidy Kincaide continues a family tradition begun in 1670—acquiring and neutralizing dangerous supernatural items. It’s the perfect job for Cassidy, whose psychic gift lets her touch an object and know its history. Together with her business partner Sorren, a 500 year-old vampire and former jewel thief, Cassidy makes it her business to get infernal objects off the market. When mundane antiques suddenly become magically malicious, it’s time for Cassidy and Sorren to get rid of these Deadly Curiosities before the bodies start piling up.



Rating & Review
I was really intrigued while reading the description for this one. What a cool idea for a book! There are tons of books out right now that have some sort of magical spin to them but this one was a bit different from the rest.

Unfortunately, it just didn't work for me. Not that the book was bad, it just lacked the finesse that I had thought it would have. I found myself getting a bit bored. That became an issue because the things that were happening, should have really made me want to tear through this book. 

I think maybe that it just started off on the wrong foot for me with some acronyms in the beginning. Now, this is just an irritant for me. The rating I gave the book didn't have anything to do with the acronyms but since I did write it down in my notes, I thought I would bring it up.  I just don't like weird acronyms because I think it's a waste of perfectly good writing space. Let's say you put an unknown acronym in your book. You have to write that acronym and then explain it... And then I'll probably have a horrible time trying to remember this weird acronym and I'll have to keep looking in previous text for it just so I can remind myself. And THEN, I'm going to waste a crap-ton of blog space just explaining why I can't stand acronym explanations. Le sigh.

Okay, moving this show along... I didn't get attached to any of the characters. To be honest, I had a hard time relating to anything about any of them. They felt really detached from me, from the story, from each other... It just didn't work for me at all and that's always hard to swallow. I want to love every book that I pick up, but it just doesn't work out like that most of the time. 



Find Deadly Curiosities here:










No comments:

Post a Comment