Monday, April 7, 2014

Review: Witch Hearts by Liz Long


Summary
How does a witch stay safe if a killer can get through her protection spells?

Witches like Ruby and Courtney can take care of themselves. So when Courtney is murdered, Ruby’s world crashes to a halt. The only thing keeping her grounded is the return of Courtney’s brother, Cooper. He seeks revenge, but Ruby wants to help other witches stay alive. To do that, she’ll have to reunite with her old coven’s High Priest, who also happens to be her cheating ex-boyfriend.

If that wasn’t awkward enough, when the killer gets too close, Cooper temporarily moves into Ruby’s place while a police officer tails her every move. Cooper’s presence distracts Ruby as they fight their desire against their need to stay safe. Then Courtney begins to haunt Ruby’s dreams and secrets are spilled, things from Cooper’s past that could get them both killed. The killer continues to stalk Ruby and the more she discovers, the more she fears she won’t be able to keep her heart in her chest.



Rating & Review


When I was first approached about reading Witch Hearts, I was a little skeptical because I was told that it was reminiscent of Criminal Minds. Stop it. Wait right there. Growing up, my dad was a forensic scientist (or criminalist). I grew up with this stuff. And I have messed up childhood science fairs to prove it! One year, I did bullet analysis and the next, blood spatter. I got some super weird looks but I thought it was cool ... now that I think about it, I wonder if my teachers thought I was homicidal ...

Anyway, I get pretty critical of books and shows having to do with crime because I know so much about this topic. So right off the bat, I was gearing myself up to pull this book apart but I just never got the chance. There weren't any problems and while the book isn't about crime solving, it's the kind of thriller that would appeal to Criminal Minds fans.

Gosh. I just don't know where to start, there are just too many good things to say. The beginning of the book is a bit haunting. You are dropped into the thoughts of a woman out for a little jog before it gets dark. She notices that she's alone and thinks of how the blonde girl running alone at night story never ends well. But then she has the same thoughts that everyone gets ... yep ... I'm talking about the "It will never happen to me" thoughts. We've all had them but they don't usually end badly for most of us. What an eerie way to start a book! I loved it!! All of that being said ... the first couple of chapters were a little slow moving for me. Looking back, I don't think that I appreciated them enough the first go round. They are really quite good.

The characters ... these characters were so well written that the author could easily go back and write a prequel and it would slide right in like it was always there. Too many times I have seen authors just not get ... it ... you know the heart and soul of a character. Then they will try and make up for it in the next novel. But in my mind, you've got one shot to hook me, the reader. I want to love or hate the characters that an author creates. I don't really care which ... I can love a character that I hate with a fiery passion. I just want the author to make me feel and this one did. I adored the heroine of Witch Hearts. I can't wait to read more novels with her ... nudge, nudge Ms. Liz Long.

I want to say more but it will spoil the surprises and believe me, there are many and they are totally worth it. This would be a great one to read poolside this summer ... maybe there will be a follow-up book ... my hints are getting more unsubtle-er ... that was a hint on the hint, by the way. I would really like a second Witch Hearts. Soon.



Find Witch Hearts here:
Goodreads
Amazon
Barnes & Noble



No comments:

Post a Comment