Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Prelude to a Scandal (Scandal #1)

Title: Prelude to a Scandal (Scandal #1)
Author: Delilah Marvelle
Date Published: December 2010
Publisher: HQN Books
Pages: 376

 ★★★
Lady Justine is willing to trade her good name, her reputation and her place in London's gossip-hungry ton to secure her father's release from prison. But when the notorious Duke of Bradford counters her offer with a proposal of marriage, the stakes grow higher still. For while the smoldering lord is famous for his conquests, the man is oblivious to both her devotion and her charms. And Justine is soon afraid she has wagered all for naught.



Occasionally, I love a good romance novel. Especially a period one ... you know ... ones that are set back in the mid to late 1800's or the early 1900's. Prelude to a Scandal was pretty good. It wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was good and I will probably read it again. The story line is unlike any other historical romance I've ever read.

**Little Itty Bitty Spoiler Alert**

The sex addiction problems that the main male character has, I never thought to put it into the era it was written for. Having said that, it felt a little forced. I got a little irritated with how pathetic the male character sounded. I guess I'm a normal woman who wants to read that romance novel with the strong male hero who is flawed but not a loser. I hate begging, so maybe that is my problem with the guy in this story. The female character was well written but something bugged me about her too, I just can't put my finger on it.

Prelude to a Scandal had some twists and turns that surprised me and it was pretty well thought out. To be honest, I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know what happened next, so maybe the character flaws didn't bother me as much when I was reading it as it does now that I've had time to look back on the book.

If you like romance novels, give this one a try - it definitely deserves a shot. You might not feel the same way about the characters as I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment