Friday, June 27, 2014

Review: Cop Town by Karin Slaughter

Summary
Atlanta, 1974: As a brutal murder and a furious manhunt rock the city’s police department, Kate Murphy wonders if her first day on the job will also be her last. She’s determined to defy her privileged background by making her own way—wearing a badge and carrying a gun. But for a beautiful young woman, life will be anything but easy in the macho world of the Atlanta PD, where even the female cops have little mercy for rookies. It’s also the worst day possible to start given that a beloved cop has been gunned down, his brothers in blue are out for blood, and the city is on the edge of war.

Kate isn’t the only woman on the force who’s feeling the heat. Maggie Lawson followed her uncle and brother into the ranks to prove her worth in their cynical eyes. When she and Kate, her new partner, are pushed out of the citywide search for a cop killer, their fury, pain, and pride finally reach the boiling point. With a killer poised to strike again, they will pursue their own line of investigation, risking everything as they venture into the city’s darkest heart.




Rating




Review
Everyone has that handful of authors ... the ones that are a sure thing. You know if you pick up one of their novels that you're in for a great read and you don't give it a second thought. Karin Slaughter is one of those authors for me. My mom branched out one time and read one of her novels and then when she suggested it to me, I was hooked. I used to be one of those readers who stuck to the basics: James Patterson, Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham, and Stephen King. These four authors were in my circle of trust and I NEVER read outside the circle. I was too afraid that if I picked up another author, I will have wasted my time on a bad book. I was foolish. All of those reading years, wasted on safe authors!! Well, Slaughter was really my first time betraying my circle. It was so worth it. Karin Slaughter is amazing. Her Grant County series is one of my all-time favorites. She has such a way with words and it completely draws you in. I have re-read that series alone probably ten times and I enjoyed what I've read of the Will Trent series also. 

Which makes what I'm about to say so much more difficult. I didn't like this one at all. I tried connecting with Cop Town and it just didn't happen. It was well written, don't get me wrong. But it failed to grab me like all of her other novels. Maybe it was because it was set in the 70's and that decade is just completely foreign to me. That sounds weird since I was born in 1980 but I've had similar issues with reading other novels from that time period. 

First of all, it wasn't a bad book. It was just as well written as her previous novels. It was just as well edited, thought out and researched. I found it kind entirely too easy to put down. Cop Town just didn't blow my skirt up. And I wanted to love this book. Who am I kidding, when I saw that Slaughter had a new novel out, it was like my unborn child ... I loved it before I had seen it. But the stork dropped this baby in an ugly tree before it reached its destination. 

Remember, this is just my take on it ... you'll probably love it like most of the people who have read it so far. It's highly rated and a ton of authors that I love have really enjoyed it. So I'm probably out of my mind and temporarily delusional ... so give it a shot and prove me wrong!



Find Cop Town here:



No comments:

Post a Comment