Sunday, March 2, 2014

Review: Hero of My Heart


Summary
When Mary Smith’s corrupt, debt-ridden brother drags her to a seedy pub to sell her virtue to the highest bidder, Alasdair Thornham leaps to the rescue. Of course the marquess is far from perfect husband material. Although he is exceedingly handsome, with a perfect, strong body, chiseled jaw, and piercing green eyes, Alasdair is also too fond of opium, preferring delirium to reality. Still, he has come to Mary’s aid, and now she intends to return the favor. She will show him that he is not evil, just troubled.

Mary was a damsel in need of a hero, but Alasdair’s plan is shortsighted. He never foresaw her desire to save him from himself. Alasdair is quite at home in his private torment, until this angel proves that a heart still beats in his broken soul. The devil may have kept her from hell, but will Mary’s good intentions lead them back to the brink—or to heaven in each other’s arms?




Rating & Review

Love me some historical romance. I've read so many of these damn things that you'd think I'd burn out but I don't. I love them. I love the dresses, I love the vernacular, I love the prim and proper-ness of it all. I. Love. It. 

Hero of My Heart had a pretty interesting beginning. You're thrown into this seedy establishment that allows the auction of a virgin to happen. On top of a table. I was a bit taken aback by the initial vulgarity, to be honest. And I don't know why I was ... I've read way worse things. Things my reading eyes wish that they could unsee.

Was this the most accurate historical romance that I've ever read? No, but the story was pretty entertaining. I really liked how the POV toggled back and forth between Alasdair and Mary. I enjoyed being able to find out what each character was thinking or feeling during the entire story ... that's something I wish that I had for a lot more of the books I've read. The story was pretty well written ... again, nothing world altering but it was amusing. The situations that these two characters would find themselves immersed in were pretty crazy. And watching them maneuver their way through the obstacles in front of them was interesting. 

My biggest issue with the book was how one of the major conflicts was resolved. It was so anticlimactic that it kinda ticked me off. I had invested time in this novel and for that issue to just be ... eh, finished ... made me a bit angry. One change to that whole situation would have made the biggest difference in the world for me. But because of it, this book received a low rating and I really wanted to give it two stars but it felt spiteful. 


Find Hero of My Heart here:

No comments:

Post a Comment