Monday, September 1, 2014

Review: Paradigm (Paradigm #1) by Ceri A. Lowe


What if the end of the world was just the beginning?

Alice Davenport awakens from a fever to find her mother gone and the city she lives in ravaged by storms – with few survivors.

When Alice is finally rescued, she is taken to a huge underground bunker owned by the mysterious Paradigm Industries. As the storms worsen, the hatches close.

87 years later, amidst the ruins of London, the survivors of the Storms have reinvented society. The Model maintains a perfect balance – with inhabitants routinely frozen until they are needed by the Industry.

Fifteen-year-old Carter Warren knows his time has come. Awoken from the catacombs as a contender for the role of Controller General, it is his destiny to succeed – where his parents failed.

But Carter soon discovers that the world has changed, in ways that make him begin to question everything that he believes in. As Carter is forced to fight for those he loves and even for his life, it seems that the key to the future lies in the secrets of the past...







I've been on a bit of a dystopia kick these past couple of years. I initially fell in love with the genre a while back and I'm always on the lookout for a new author that can bring something new to the table. And that's why I initially was so excited about this book. I thought that it sounded like a really cool idea and I was super interested to read a book with both the before and after versions of a new world. But unfortunately, this one just didn't do it for me.

Right from the very beginning, it was just really slow. Super slow. Slower than I will usually tolerate, actually. Most of the time, if a book is super slow, I'll skip ahead just to get past the stagnant parts. This time, I felt like if I did that that I would get lost. Truth be told, I don't know that I would have minded missing a bit. 

Now the heart of the story was good. I enjoyed getting to know the characters but with it being so slow and so boring, I just couldn't stay engaged. I didn't want to stay engaged. I just wasn't invested in the novel. It's one that I probably won't pick back up again. Not for me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment