Monday, September 1, 2014

Review: What a Duke Dares (Sons of Sin #3) by Anna Campbell


What woman in her right mind would say no to marrying the dashing Duke of Sedgemoor? Miss Penelope Thorne, that's who. She's known Camden Rothermere since they were children-and she also knows she'd bring nothing but scandal to his name.

Cam can hardly believe Penelope turned down his proposal. But if she wants to run off to the Continent and set the rumor mill ablaze, he can't stop her. Then her brother's dying request sends him to bring home the one woman he thought he'd finally gotten over.

The only way they'll both get back to London without their reputations in tatters is to pretend they're married during the journey. That means kissing like they mean it and even sharing a bed-until it becomes hard to tell where the game ends and true desire begins . . .






As most everyone knows, I'm a huge fan of historical romance novels. I just love everything about them and this one didn't disappoint. Too much. 

I thought that the whole idea of this one was interesting because you don't read many historical romance novels where the heroine has gone off to other countries pretty much by herself. It just didn't happen back then, so when I read the blurb for this one, I was intrigued. And it totally paid off. The way that Anna Campbell wove everything together was awesome. The chemistry between Cam and Pen was almost palpable and that made the story even better. 

I really liked most of the other characters as well. The romance between two supporting characters was fun to read and added a big boost to the plot. I was glad that it was included. There was one thing that I found ... irritating. It was this back and forth that the characters had ... it was almost a fight about who hurt who the most. And it happened quite a few times. We get it. It started to grate on my nerves after a while. Thank goodness the story was strong enough to keep me interested after that kind of turned me off of the book.

This was my first Anna Campbell novel and I know that it won't be my last. Her writing is exciting and gripping and it held my attention and kept me hooked. 




No comments:

Post a Comment