Sunday, September 7, 2014

Review: The Burn List by Stan Stamper


Award winning reporter Annie Wyatt was warned not to write about the Miami mob, but she didn't listen. When they killed her husband and son, she spiraled into a hellish abyss of PTSD. Fortunately, her brother John Dane, a retired Navy SEAL, was no stranger to PTSD, and he knew the perfect antidote-survival and revenge. His plan to settle the score, considered insane by most measures, involved his sister Annie, and the newly found love of his life, Dr. Mitsy Barlow. But could they survive the mob's attacks long enough to succeed? The Burn List chronicles their combined efforts and who would be the first, and last - to die.






I received this novel from the publisher a very, VERY long time ago. Initially I was super interested and then, I don't really know what happened. Other novels kept getting pushed in front of it. There really isn't any excuse for not picking it up, it just wasn't the right time. Anyway, getting back to being super interested in it ... I'm a big Vince Flynn fan ... he wrote these amazing spy/military novels that I really love. I'm always on the look out for novels like his since he passed away, so when I saw this one, I thought that it would be right up my alley. 

Unfortunately, as you can see from my rating, this one just totally missed the mark with me. I'm going to give a teensie weensie little spoiler here ... it was really irritating picking this novel up, thinking it would be about a broken woman getting revenge for her family but in actuality, most of the beginning is about her brother getting all amped up for this personal assistant. Line after line just waxing poetic on how epic her boobs are and she's so pretty and OMG, she looks sooo great in those shorts. Dude. Really? I think that there is a fine line between appreciating a woman and being skeevy. This hit skeevy for me. I mean, would a brother really be working to get his rocks off with some chick when he has all of these "plans" to help his sister? Really? I just finally had to skip over stuff. Now come on. I read romance novels all the time. I like a good description and I love reading how a man is pining after some gorgeous specimen but this just wasn't that. Maybe it's because that isn't what this novel was supposed to be about ... it's great as a secondary plot in the novel but when it takes the focus off of the real reason for the book, it's just tiring. 

Was the novel badly written? No ... there weren't any grammar issues or spelling problems or anything like that, it was just boring and unfocused. I don't know that I would pick up another novel from this author. Scratch that. I won't pick up another novel from this author. 





No comments:

Post a Comment