Thursday, November 20, 2014

Review: Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane #6) by Elizabeth Hoyt


WHEN A MASKED MAN . . .

Twenty years ago Maximus Batten witnessed the brutal murders of his parents. Now the autocratic Duke of Wakefield, he spends his days ruling Parliament. But by night, disguised as the Ghost of St. Giles, he prowls the grim alleys of St. Giles, ever on the hunt for the murderer. One night he finds a fiery woman who meets him toe-to-toe—and won't back down . . .

MEETS HIS MATCH . . .

Artemis Greaves toils as a lady's companion, but hiding beneath the plain brown serge of her dress is the heart of a huntress. When the Ghost of St. Giles rescues her from footpads, she recognizes a kindred spirit-and is intrigued. She's even more intrigued when she realizes who exactly the notorious Ghost is by day . . .

DESIRE IGNITES A DANGEROUS PASSION

Artemis makes a bold move: she demands that Maximus use his influence to free her imprisoned brother-or she will expose him as the Ghost. But blackmailing a powerful duke isn't without risks. Now that she has the tiger by the tail, can she withstand his ire-or the temptation of his embrace?






I was lucky enough to receive this book from Goodreads. I sure do love a good historical romance novel!! This is my first Elizabeth Hoyt novel but I've had my eye on a few of her works previously so I was pretty excited when this one arrived in the mail.

First impressions? Dude. There are similar names that REALLY threw me off at first. The only similarity was the first letter but it made it a bit confusing at first ... like Phoebe and Penelope, Artemis and Apollo, Blackbourne and Brightmore, just to name a few. Come on, I know that there are only 26 letters in the alphabet and that there are tons of first initials that are the same but when you're first diving into a book, you don't expect for there to be soo many that are similar right from the get-go. Well, at least I didn't. I think that it just added some unnecessary confusion at first until you get through the first few chapters and kind of have a handle on what is going on. 

Anyhow ... the novel is really well written. It held my attention and kept me interested throughout the whole thing. I didn't find any parts that were long winded or boring, I didn't have to skim anything and all in all, it was a good book. The characters were intriguing and I really enjoyed reading about Maximus and the journey that he has taken in his life. I do wish that there was a little more back story to the heroine, Artemis, of the story but that very well could have been in some of the previous novels of the series. That being said, I didn't feel the need to go back and read the previous 5 just to know what was going on in this one, it could definitely be a stand alone novel.

All in all, a good book. I'd be interested to see what some of the other Hoyt novels are like because I really enjoyed the mystery and intrigue in this one.







No comments:

Post a Comment