Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Review: Sparrow 59 (The Sleepers' Coalition #1) by Devon Ashley


Members of the CIA’s specialized team Sparrow, who investigate specifically into black market deals involving stolen medical research, were all murdered in one quick sweep. Drew and Samantha, team five-nine, have been more than just partners since their academy training days. Safeguarding their secret tryst from everyone in their professional lives, they trust no one but themselves. But when Samantha finds herself suspiciously spared and Drew missing, she doesn’t want to believe what the CIA claims – that Drew is not only alive and has defected from their organization, but is facilitating the deaths of prominent research developers worldwide. Now the only member of Sparrow who hasn’t been killed off, Samantha finds herself under serious investigation by association – and a prisoner within her own home.

Just when she’s on the verge of being labeled a murderer and a traitor herself, Drew activates a beacon only she can see, taunting her from across the world. He knows she’s watching, and she knows he could be gone forever if she doesn't oblige his silent request. With nothing left to lose and everything to gain, Sam goes rogue to track him down and clear her good name. But when she finally catches up to her partner of four years, he hasn’t a clue who he is or what he’s done, and the men chasing him down suddenly want to acquire her as well.

Frantic yet determined, Samantha is forced to protect a man she no longer trusts in order to learn why he went astray – and why his associates are determined to retrieve him. But is Drew really a victim himself in a much greater scheme, or will his memories prove lethal, leading Sam into harm’s way like a lamb to slaughter, ultimately risking the life of the only member of Sparrow he managed to save?







The first thing I saw when looking into this book was that it was compared to Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Bourne Identity. When I read that, I knew that this novel was for me. It's got the spy stuff (which I LOVE) and then its got the romance and excitement and suspense and what a wondrous combination it is!

I've read another novel by Devon Ashley, so I figured that I would enjoy this one as well. And man, did I ever. I couldn't seem to get enough. I positively devoured this novel. It was such an interesting spin on spies and I thought that with the characters being so young that it would really add a new twist and it did. Devon Ashley did a marvelous job in this basically barren New Adult/Spy sub-genre. To be honest, I really didn't know how this novel would go ... you would think that writing romancey-new adult novels would be a bit different from cranking one of these things out. Anyhow ...

As I've come to expect from Devon Ashley, the characters were very well written. I, once again, found myself connecting with each of the main characters even though I really had nothing in common with them. And that's a weird thing to transpire - I have NOTHING in common with these characters ... I'm not in my 20's, I wasn't living on the streets, I'm not a spy and countless other differentiations. Yet, I could really see myself in each of them. It was the weirdest thing. But that's the power of a great writer ... they can make you have some sort of connection with things that are so far out of your realm. 

The story itself was really interesting. I didn't find myself skipping paragraphs to get away from boring parts or skimming pages because I just wanted to push through. No, I blazed through this whole thing because I was so excited to get to the end. Speaking of which ... the end was ... the end was bullshit. I was completely shocked and amazed and pissed and about 9 billion other things. Oh, this next one better come out soon, that's all I have to say.


This comes out December 16th. Preorder NOW!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment