Thursday, June 13, 2013

Divergent

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Date Published: May 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 487

 ★★★★★
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.



I can't begin to explain how much I love this freakin' book!

At first I was thinking that Divergent was going to be another tired play on the post-apocalyptic genre that has become so popular lately. Unfortunately for all of the other books in that category ... you won't hold a candle to Divergent. Ever. Don't even try.

I know what you're thinking - it can't possibly beat HUNGER GAMES ... uh ... totally did. Easily. Within the first chapter.

Not that HG isn't good ... it is. But it's not the new literary bible that everyone is making it out to be. Especially since I've read Divergent.

This book is nothing short of amazing. It's one of those that I stayed up (while I was sick with the nastiest cold EVER and all I wanted to do was sleep) with and just HAD to finish the page I was on and then I would go to bed. But wait! There's more! I have to finish this other chapter and then I'll get some sleep. Then it turned into another chapter and another. Until it was 4am and our kids were going to be up in two hours. But I didn't care. I threw caution to the wind, knew that I wasn't going to be in the greatest mood the next day, but I didn't care. I just had to keep reading. Eventually I woke up to my Nook hitting me in the face because I had fallen asleep. And I didn't care. Not a curse was said when I nailed myself in the face because the book is that good!

It's just good. Veronica Roth is amazing. And I love this book. I need to go read the next one now.


**Update**
I'm re-reading Divergent for what has to be the 17the time. I fall more in love with the characters with each reading. Not that I didn't read the book completely the first time ... but I always find things that I missed with the previous time that I read it. I think that I get so excited about what is going to happen that I start skimming the pages just so that I can get to the next part. The characters that Roth has introduced to us through this book are written beautifully. I hate it when an author creates a "perfect" character ... characters are meant to have flaws and seem more human than just someone that is made up. Especially after seeing who has been slotted to be in the film, I can totally hook each written character to their movie counterpart and it's believable. Great book, worth a read!!

No comments:

Post a Comment